The Cascade Road corridor is a principal arterial that lies in-between the Atlanta City limits to the east and Fulton Industrial Boulevard to the west. ¬†It provides access to I-285 and Fulton Industrial Boulevard for residents along the corridor. The I-285 interchange is among the most congested on I-285 South of Atlanta and traffic volumes are expected to nearly double by year 2040.
The Department of Public Works, Transportation Division, is conducting an evaluation/study and prepares the associated conceptual layouts and reports to improve the traffic condition on Cascade Road at the I-285 junction and the three adjacent intersections at Utoy Springs Road, Cascade Parkway SW, and Shanter Trail. ¬† The project began in April 2015, with an anticipated completion date of December 2015 (See Schedule)
The following three alternatives will be developed/evaluated for the I-285 ramp terminal intersections:
- Conventional diamond interchange (existing style) with traffic signals ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†
- Conventional diamond interchange with roundabouts
- Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) with traffic signals
The project also includes developing and evaluating conceptual design alternatives for the three adjacent intersections along Cascade Road. The potential improvements include:
- Adding or lengthening of turn lanes
- Revising traffic signal timing, phasing, and system coordination
- Installing roundabouts.
Two stakeholders and two public information meetings will be conducted to engage the public, receive input and document/address suggestions and concerns, and present the project and feasible concepts.
- Stakeholders' Meeting #1 (June 23, 2015)
Over twenty people attended the first stakeholders' meeting held in the Promendade Building. ¬† Please click below to download or view:
- Public Meeting #1 (July 28, 2015 - 06:30-08:00PM at Southwest Branch Library located at 3665 Cascade Road, SW Atlanta ¬†) ¬†
- Stakeholders' ¬†Meeting #2 (September 22, 2015; 08:00-10:00am) at the Southwest Branch Library located at 3665 Cascade Road SW, Atlanta)
- Public Meeting #2 (October 13, 2015-06:30-08:00PM ) at the Southwest Arts Center located at 915 New Hope Road, Atlanta