Business Licenses


Business Licenses

Business Licenses

Fulton County issues licenses businesses located in the Fulton Industrial District (unincorporated) only. All other businesses are licensed by their city. 

All persons, firms or corporations located or engaged in business in the Fulton Industrial District are required to register their businesses. Businesses are registered by applying for a Business Occupational Tax certificates and paying the associated administrative fees and Occupational taxes required for your business.

Business Occupational Tax Certificates are valid for a calendar year, January 1 through December 31 and must be renewed by March 31 of each year.


business licenses faq's

What is an Employer Identification Number/Tax Identification Number (EIN/TIN)?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a federal Tax Identification Number (TIN), and is used to identify a business entity. For more information on obtaining a TIN please visit the IRS website: 

Who issues licenses for my business address?

In the State of Georgia, business licenses must be obtained from the city in which the primary place of business would be located. Counties issue licenses for businesses in unincorporated areas. .

Fulton County issues business licenses for the Fulton Industrial District only. 

If you are unsure if your business is located in the unincorporated areas of Fulton County, Click here and search for your business's address, then click on  Full Property Profile, to determine which jurisdiction will issue your business license. 

Please contact the appropriate Municipality to obtain a Business Occupational Tax Certificate:                                          

 Atlanta  5   404-330-6270
 Alpharetta  10  678-297-6086
 Chattahoochee Hills  61  770-463-8881
 College Park  15  404-669-3766
 East Point  20  404-270-7185
 Fairburn  25  770-964-2244
 Fulton Industrial Dist  70  770-612-7722
 Hapeville  30  404-669-2100
 Johns Creek  57  678-512-3200
 Milton  56  678-242-2500
 Mountain Park  35   770-993-4231
 Palmetto  40  770-463-3377
 Roswell  45  770-594-6235
 Sandy Springs  59  770-730-5600
 South Fulton  55  470-552-4311
 Union City  50  770-964-2288


How do I apply for an Adult Entertainment license?

All applications (new & renewal) must originate from the Club of employment. 

Do I have to obtain a Business License if I have a 501 3 (c)?

Yes, Businesses with a 501 (c) must register the business  at 141 Pryor Street Atlanta, GA Suite 7001 Atlanta, GA 30303 and present a copy of the certificate at that time.

Can I get a Business Occupational Tax Certificate for a home-based business and start operating the business immediately?

Yes. The Business Tax Division will issue a Business Tax Certificate, but all zoning for home based businesses are regulated by the Zoning Department.

A Business License application must be filed within 30 days of the start of the business.  It is best to get a zoning confirmation done prior to securing a lease or opening  a business.  This will ensure operations are zoned for that area.